The US Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Office of Research and Development (ORD) has issued a Request for Quotation (RFQ) for Type A Certified Shipping Casks for shipping radioactive materials.
Per National Response Center License requirements:
- Packaging shall be designed/manufactured to ship one 10 mCi Co-60 special form source so that it meets Yellow-II DOT labelling requirements.
- The packaging shall not weigh more than 60 lbs.
- The packaging shall be constructed of tungsten.
- The packaging shall have handles that meet DOT regulations for Type A packages.
- The packaging shall be constructed to allow the metal wire to extend outside the primary storage cavity so the radioactive source can be handled via the attached label
Further details are available via Solicitation Number: RFQ-DC-15-00166. The response deadline is May 14, 2015.