The Office of Naval Research (ONR) is interested in receiving proposals for the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD)-led Minerva Research Initiative, a DoD-sponsored, university-based social science research program initiated by the Secretary of Defense.
The program focuses on areas of strategic importance to U.S. national security policy. It seeks to increase the Department’s intellectual capital in the social sciences and improve its ability to address future challenges and build bridges between the Department and the social science community.
Minerva brings together universities, research institutions, and individual scholars and supports multidisciplinary and cross-institutional projects addressing specific topic areas determined by the Department of Defense.
The current call for proposals is for research related to the following topics:
- Culture, identity, and security
- Belief formation and influence
- Mobilization for change
- Contributors to Societal Resilience and Change
- Governance and rule of law
- Resources, economics, and globalization
- Additional factors impacting societal resilience and change
- Power projection and diffusion
- Beyond conventional deterrence
- Innovations in National Security, Conflict, and Cooperation
- Analytical methods and metrics for security research
- Emerging topics in conflict and security
The research questions addressed should extend across a fairly broad range of linked issues where there is clear potential synergy among the contributions of the distinct disciplines represented on the team.
Further details are available via Solicitation Number: ONRBAA14-013. The response deadline is Feb 19, 2015.