The U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) is conducting market research in support of the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety (OHMS) requirement for “Engineering, Chemical, Radiological and Analytical Research and Development.”
OHMS has a continuing need to research, assess, analyze, and in some cases develop products to determine the risks associated with the adequacy and safety of hazmat transportation. OHMS has a need to perform basic and applied research of specification and non-specification packages and its components to enhance compliance with the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR).
The basic and applied research will also be used in chemical and radiological examination to further enhance hazmat safety and reduce risks in the transportation of hazardous materials.
PHMSA must have the ability to initiate task orders quickly in order obtain timely information to guide policy decisions when unforeseen issues arise. The timely receipt of the results of these tasks is critical to successful implementation of OHMS policy, decision-making and program planning.
The work performed under the IDIQ contract is considered as supplementary support to ongoing efforts within OHMS. OHMS research and development needs are:
- Model element research of to enhance compliance with the HMR
- Improve, develop, validate and recommend chemical and radiological examination methods for the classification of hazardous materials
- Analyze newly developed innovations and to assist in the development of the regulatory requirements and engineering research to validate or improve design of packaging
- Research/analyze risks of hazardous materials transportation
- Research the most economical and beneficial methods of eliminating hazardous materials risks
- Conduct critical research studies to examine mitigating factors to address risks associated in the transportation of hazardous materials
Capability statements are sought from interested organizations. Further details are available via Solicitation Number: DTPH5615SS0001. The response deadline is Apr. 27, 2015.