The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), a U.S. Department of Transportation agency, is looking for innovative ideas for leading-edge research and innovative techniques to advance the safe transportation of hazardous materials.
Research priorities supported under the Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) are focused on innovations in Risk Management and Mitigation; new technologies to improve transport safety; innovations in package integrity to reduce transport incidents; and technical analysis to aid risk assessments and improve safety.
Specific topics of interest for funding include:
- Investigate the Development of “Smart Technology” or Other Hazardous Communication Technology for Transporters, First Responders, Material Inspectors, and Other Stakeholders
- Improve Performance of Protection Systems for Hazardous Material Packaging During Transportation
- Comprehensive Spill Model for Possible Incidents Associated with Bulk HM Liquid Transportation
- Development of Standards and Technical Parameters of Novel Materials for Bulk Packaging Transportation
- Packaging Classification and Standards for the Safe Transportation of Infectious Waste Byproducts, Bulk Waste, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Clean-up Waste, etc.
- Exploration of the Issues, Development, and Potential Hazards Associated with the Transport of HM by Unmanned and Autonomous Vehicles in Various Modes
- Identify and Define the Issues Associated with Natural Gas Hydrate (NGH) Handling and Packaging in Transportation
- Shock, Impact, and Associated Data Related to the Transportation Charge Storage Devices
- Mitigating the Risks and Consequences Associated with Hazardous Materials Packaging Rupture
- Investigate the Removal of Inherent Hazards Associated with Liquid Energy Products Transportation
- Research into the Identification and Standard for Identifying Hazards Associated with the Transportation of Emerging Energy and Charge Storage Technologies
- Development of a New and Comprehensive Classification of the Dangers Associated with the Transportation of Novel Materials such as Nanoparticles, Aerosols, Nanotubes, etc.
- Research and Regulation of Polymerizing Materials During Transportation
- Classification and Research of the Transportation of Bio-Derived Fuel
Further details are available via Solicitation Number: DTPH5617PHMSABAA. White papers are being accepted through Apr 21, 2017 11:59 am Eastern.