Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), based in The Hague, is the implementing body of the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) which entered into force in 1997.
Currently OPCW has 190 Member States. In terms of staff, the OPCW Technical Secretariat has approximately 500 dedicated staff, nearly 200 of which are inspectors.
The CWC Convention contains four key provisions:
- Destroying all existing chemical weapons under international verification by the OPCW
- Monitoring chemical industry to prevent new weapons from re-emerging
- Providing assistance and protection to States Parties against chemical threats
- Fostering international cooperation to strengthen implementation of the CWC
States that have not signed the CWC include Angola, Egypt, North Korea and South Sudan. Signatory states that have not yet ratified the CWC are Israel and Myanmar.
Editor’s Picks: Articles related to the OPCW. Links may lead to external sites.
- Chemical Weapons Inspectors Finally Gain Access to Douma (Apr 2018)
- What is an OPCW Designated Laboratory (Apr 2018)
- OPCW to Investigate Chemical Attacks in Syria’s Eastern Ghouta (Feb 2018)
- Viewpoint: Chemical Weapons ‘Threat to West’ (Feb 2018)
- Chemical Safety and Security Best Practices and Shortfalls (Jan 2017)
- OPCW Tests DoD Lab’s Biomedical Analysis Proficiency (Nov 2016)
- OPCW Director Visits Doha Regional Centre for CBRN Training (Oct 2016)
- Removal of Chemical Weapons Precursors from Libya (Sep 2016)
- Destruction Completed for Syria’s Declared Chemical Weapons (Jan 2016)
- OPCW Hosts Associate Programme Alumni Virtual Meeting (Nov 2015)
- OPCW Again Condemns Chemical Weapons Use in Syria (Nov 2015)
- Pakistan Hosts Chemical Weapons Assistance and Protection Course (Nov 2015)
- UN Resolution Condemns Use of Chemical Weapons In Syria (Mar 2015)
- Chemical Weapons Protection Course Held in Pakistan (Nov 2014)
- OPCW Chemical Defense Exercise in Colombia (Nov 2015)
- All Category 1 Chemicals Declared by Syria Now Destroyed (Aug 2014)
- Analysis of Chemicals Relevant to the Chemical Weapons Convention (Aug 2014)
- MRIGlobal Honors Mikulak for Career in Chem-Bio Threat Reduction (Jul 2014)