The Central Role of Nuclear Operators in Implementing the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material (CPPNM) and its Amendment
March 12 - March 14
The Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material (CPPNM) and its Amendment (A/CPPNM) is the only binding international instrument concerned with the physical protection of nuclear material and nuclear facilities.
Much of the discussion to date surrounding the CPPNM and its A/CPPNM has been focused on stakeholders at the international and national level, often overlooking the perspective of nuclear operators.
The World Institute for Nuclear Security (WINS) will host an online 3-day workshop 12-14 March 2024 to shine a spotlight on whether nuclear operators recognise the link between this international instrument and their daily practice; how their experience can be conveyed to the international community of practitioners and how this experience could be used to enhance both the instrument and collective support for it.
CPPNM and A/CPPNM has several implications for nuclear operators, including the following:
- Influences the content of national legal and regulatory frameworks for the physical protection of nuclear material and nuclear facilities
- Defines criminal offenses involving or directed at nuclear material and nuclear facilities
- Impacts how many national stakeholders – including nuclear operators – design, plan and implement nuclear security measures.
- Raises the question of how recent global events have changed the threat and risk environment for nuclear operators
Who Should Attend?
Are you a nuclear operator?
Are you responsible for the design and implementation of physical protection measures or are you impacted by physical protection measures in carrying out operations?
Is your country a State Party to the Convention on Physical Protection of Nuclear Material and its Amendment (if you’re unsure, you can click here to find out)?
Would you like to learn more about the role of this important international legal instrument in shaping your country’s approach to physical protection of nuclear material and facilities?
Then sign up for this workshop to:
- Hear from experts about the role of nuclear operators under the CPPNM and A/CPPNM
- Engage with other participants and subject matter experts on the topic in an interactive manner
- Understand how nuclear operators can benefit from a deeper awareness of these international obligations in a dynamic threat and risk environment
Please visit the World Institute for Nuclear Security’s Central Role of Nuclear Operators in Implementing the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material (CPPNM) and its Amendment event page to apply for this event.