Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization (JIEDDO)Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization (JIEDDO)CLOSED
NOTE: The Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization (JIEDDO) has been reorganized and renamed the Joint Improvised-Threat Defeat Agency (JIDA) in 2015, with plans to reorganize it again by the close of September 2016 as the Joint Improvised Threat Defeat Organization (JIDO) aligned under the Defense Threat Reduction Agency. This profile will no longer be updated.
In 2006 the U.S. Department of Defense established the Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization (JIEDDO) to explore and identify ways to prevent, identify and defeat IEDs.
The task force reached out to Army components, the other services, the private sector and academia to improve threat-intelligence gathering, acquire counter-IED technologies and develop counter-IED training for U.S. troops on the battlefield.
JIEDDO later became a field agency reporting directly to the Deputy Defense Secretary. In March 2015, the DoD announced JIEDDO will soon transition again to become a combat support agency under the authority of the undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition. Under this forthcoming reorganization, JIEDDO is also expected to be renamed.
JIEDDO’s counter-IED capability areas include countering threat-networks, detection, neutralizing IEDs, limiting homemade explosives, information integration and fusion to increase situational awareness, weapons technical intelligence, and counter-IED training.
JIEDDO currently has a roster of about 400 military and civilian staff and about 700 contract personnel.
Editor’s Picks: Articles and resources related to JIEDDO. Links may lead to external sites.
- DARPA Seeks Infrared Hyperspectral Chem Sensors (Apr 2015)
- Preparing for Warfare’s Subterranean Future (Apr 2015)
- JEIDDO Discusses its Capabilities (Apr 2015)
- JIEDDO Becomes Combat Support Agency (Apr 2015)
- Defense Department Approves JIEDDO Reorganization (Mar 2015)
- Pentagon’s New Role for JIEDDO Counter-IED Agency (Mar 2015)
- CRESS Detection for New Types of IEDS (Nov 2014)
- A-T Solutions to Provide Counter-IED Training to Marine Corps (Nov 2014)
- JIEDDO signs Statement of Support for the Guard and Reserve (Sep 2014)
- Innovative Acquisition promoted through ‘Culvert Denial Challenge’ (Sep 2014)
- JIEDDO Director Addresses Explosives Symposium (Jul 2014)
- JIEDDO’s Homemade Explosive Task Force hosts joint effort to stop IEDS (May 2014)
- Nevada Fertilizer Tests Completed (Apr 2014)