- This event has passed.
NIST Large Outdoor Fire Modeling Workshop
March 18, 2019 - March 19, 2019
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) will host a Large Outdoor Fire Modeling Workshop 18-19 March 2019 in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Who should attend? Experts in the fire science, wildland fire, atmospheric modeling, and high-performance computing communities.
NIST is undertaking Structural Engineering Research for Reducing Risks Due to Earthquakes and Other Extreme Hazards. Post-earthquake fires and wildland fires currently represent risks due to these hazards. NIST is conducting a workshop to help identify measurement needs to inform future research activities in the area of Large Outdoor Fire Modeling.
Highlighted focus areas of the workshop include:
- High-performance computing applied to outdoor fire modeling
- Incorporating micro- and macro-scale weather data
- Incorporating topography and terrain features
- Ember generation, lofting, and spot fire ignition physics
- Wind-driven fire spread
- Large-scale prescribed burn experiments
- Wind-tunnel experiments
Registration closes on March 11, 2019. Please visit NIST’s Large Outdoor Fire Modeling Workshop website page for more information