U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is charged with the primary responsibilities of protecting the United States and its territories from and responding to terrorist attacks, man-made accidents, and natural disasters.
Major agencies and components organized under DHS include:
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- DHS Science and Technology Directorate
- Domestic Nuclear Detection Office
- DHS National Protection and Programs Directorate
- U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service (USCIS)
- U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)
- Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
- U.S.Secret Service (USSS)
The Department of Homeland Security was formed in the wake of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, as part of a determined national effort to safeguard the United States against terrorism. The Department became the third-largest federal department, bringing together 22 different federal agencies, each with a role in this effort.
Editor’s Picks: Articles and resources related to the Department of Homeland Security. Links may lead to external sites.
The detector will use matrix-assisted laser desorptive ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) technology to generate molecular fingerprints that are unique to each particle.
Biological threat sensor architecture will integrate multiple sensor types and generate data that can be collected and analyzed in the cloud for rapid situational awareness and response.
RFI on the current state of mature rapid detection technologies for identification of chemical warfare agents and toxic industrial chemicals.
- DHS Opens New Transportation Security Explosives Detection Lab
- RFI for First Responder Electronic Jamming Exercise
- DoD, DHS Conduct Large Scale Chemical Hazard Modeling Trials
- DHS, DNDO Small Business Innovation Research Program
- DNDO Seeks Advanced Radiation Detection Methodologies
- New Federal Task Force to Counter Violent Extremism
- Vehicle Mounted Radiation Detection System Performance
- DHS Releases Critical Infrastructure R&D Plan
- Vehicle Eye-Safe Trace (VEST) Standoff Detection Systems
- New Center of Excellence for Borders, Trade and Immigration
- DHS Breaks Ground for National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility
- Emerging Training and Education Strategies for Homeland Security
- Chemical Threat Forensic Attribution Signature Studies