U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the United States technical agency for human health, disease surveillance, and the public health response to emergencies and disasters.
HHS executes its mission through a variety of operating divisions including:
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
HHS’ Office of Intergovernmental and External Affairs hosts ten Regional Offices that directly serve state and local organizations, to ensure the Department maintains close contact with state, local and tribal partners and addresses the needs of communities and individuals served through HHS programs and policies.
The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) within HHS’ Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) manages the procurement and advanced development of medical countermeasures for CBRN threats, pandemic influenza and other emerging infectious diseases.
HHS employees number approximately 76,000. The department is responsible for almost a quarter of all federal outlays and administers more grant dollars than all other federal agencies combined. The FY2015 budget request for HHS is $940.9 billion.
Editor’s Picks: Articles and resources related to the Department of Health and Human Services. Links may lead to external sites.
- Radiation Exposure Countermeasures Backed by U.S. Government (Oct 2016)
- First Light Biosciences Awarded Anthrax Diagnostic Contract (Sep 2015)
- HHS Seeks to Develop Improved Anthrax Vaccine (Mar 2015)
- HHS invests in Enhancing Domestic Preparedness Efforts for Ebola (Feb 2015)
- Patient Decontamination in a Mass Chemical Exposure Incident (Dec 2014)
- HHS Backs 3 Ebola Vaccines with PREP Protections (Dec 2014)
- HHS Accelerates Ebola Vaccines (Dec 2014)
- 35 U.S. Hospitals Designated as Ebola Treatment Centers (Dec 2014)
- HHS Pursues Detection Tests for Influenza (Oct 2014)
- New National Biodefense Science Board Members to Advise HHS (Apr 2014)
- HHS Boosts Global Ability to Respond to Pandemics (Oct 2013)
- HHS Announces Pandemic Preparedness Contracts to Top Pharma (Sep 2012)
- Smallpox Drug Gets Funding Boost from HHS (May 2012)
200 Independence Ave SW Washington DC 20201