U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) is charged with advancing the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
DOE promotes scientific and technological innovation in support of clean energy and ensuring the environmental cleanup of the national nuclear weapons complex. DOE also works to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons by fully funding efforts to secure and dispose of nuclear material, to develop technologies to detect and deter nuclear testing and smuggling, and to support international nonproliferation treaties.
The Department also develops and maintains emergency response capabilities for nuclear and radiological incidents and energy infrastructure disruptions.
Labs and technology centers operating under the DOE include:
- Ames Laboratory
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
- Idaho National Laboratory
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- National Energy Technology Laboratory
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- New Brunswick Laboratory
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory
- Radiological and Environmental Sciences Laboratory
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Savannah River Ecology Laboratory
- Savannah River National Laboratory
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
- Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility
The Office of Nuclear Energy and the National Nuclear Security Administration are both organized under the DOE. The Department additionally supports the U.S. Navy nuclear propulsion programs.
The DOE total budget request for FY 2016 is $29.9 billion, an increase of $2.5 billion from the FY 2015 Enacted level.
Editor’s Picks: Articles and resources related to Department of Energy. Links may lead to external sites.
DOE Announces 86 Small Business Grants Supporting Scientific Innovation (Apr 2019)
- Immobilizing Radioactive Waste in Glass and Ceramics (Nov 2016)
- Radiological Assistance Program Team Training (Mar 2016)
- Pilot Interim Storage of Spent Nuclear Fuel (Feb 2016)
- Arktis to Help Solve Spent Nuclear Fuel Storage Issue (Nov 2015)
- Department of Energy FY2016 Congressional Budget Request
- CBRNe Big Picture: Nuclear Forensics Collection
- U.S., Japan Exchange Best Practices on Nuclear Emergency Response (Mar 2015)
- New Clues About Risk of Cancer from Low-Dose Radiation (Mar 2015)
- Los Alamos Legacy Cleanup Completion Project (Feb 2015)
- Sandia Labs Recognized for Ruggedized Anthrax Detector (Feb 2015)
- DOE Announces New Office of Technology Transitions (Feb 2015)
- Researchers Warn of Higher Mesothelioma Risk in Nuclear Plant Workers (Feb 2015)
- PNNL Biodetection Guide Downloaded By 10,000+ (Jan 2015)
- Efforts to Secure Medical Isotopes Produced Without HEU (Dec 2014)
- One Million Curies of Radioactive Material Recovered (Dec 2014)
- Improving Models for Severe Nuclear Reactor Accidents (Nov 2014)
- Argonne Develops Acoustic Sensor for Chem-Bio Detection (Nov 2014)
- Brookhaven Lab Wins Award for Novel Radiation Detector (Nov 2014)
- Nuclear Device Detection for Emergency Responders (Nov 2014)