Standing Joint Force Headquarters for Elimination (SJFHQ-E)Standing Joint Force Headquarters for Elimination (SJFHQ-E)U.S. Strategic Command, DTRA
The Standing Joint Force Headquarters for Elimination (SJFHQ-E) was established in Feb. 2012 to provide geographic combatant commanders the planning, intelligence and operational capability required in the event that they need to eliminate a foreign nation’s WMDs and WMD programs.
SJFHQ-E is co-located with the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) and commanded by the U.S. Strategic Command Center for Combating Weapons of Mass Destruction (SCC-WMD) Deputy Director, reporting directly to the Commander of U.S. Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM).
The headquarters works in support of the president’s National Security Strategy to Combat Weapons of Mass Destruction in the hands of hostile states and terrorists. This full-time, trained joint command-and-control (C2) element is at the ready to integrate into forward deployed headquarters to help manage the elimination mission.
The SJFHQ-E is intentionally designed to expand threat reduction activity to nonpermissive environments.
The SJFHQ-E reached initial operating capability in September 2012, after reaching major milestones during the Ulchi Freedom Guardian 2012 exercise in South Korea.
DTRA, the SCC-WMD and the SJFHQ-E all have technically different roles in the counter-WMD mission area but they are located together to leverage the most out of the available resources and mission capabilities.
Editor’s Picks: Select articles related to the SJFHQ-E. Links may lead to external sites.
- Advisory and Assistance Services to DTRA and SJFHQ-E (Apr 2015)
- History of the Standing Joint Force Headquarters for Elimination (May 2014)
- New Standing Headquarters Focuses on WMD Elimination (Jun 2013)
- Biography: Major General Lucas N Polakowski Commander, SJFHQ-E (Jun 2013)
- New Joint Force Aims to Disable WMDs; Lucas Polakowski Comments (Jun 2013)
- Director DTRA, SCC-WMD Statement to Senate Armed Services Committee (Apr 2013)
- SJFHQ-E Bids Farewell to ‘Great Mentor’ During Retirement Ceremony (Aug 2012)
- Stand up of SJFHQ-E Enhances CWMD Mission (Feb 2012)
North American Seismic Networks Can Contribute to Nuclear Security
Waukegan Plant Explosion That Killed Four Workers Was Preventable, Federal Officials Say
West Virginia National Guard: Highlights From a Busy 2019
Innovative Hearing Protection May Protect Military Working Dogs
Caltech-JPL Team Builds Robot for Exploring Underground Arenas
- Hundreds Dead as Yemen Flu Outbreak Spreads
- CDC Announces Entry Screening to Begin at LAX, SFO and JFK for Novel Coronavirus
- Japan Confirms First Case of New China Coronavirus 2019-nCoV
- Feinstein Requests HHS Plan to Protect Against Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- DNA Synthesis Risk Reduction: New Report Outlines Framework for Global Safeguards
- Suspending Threats in Mid-Air: Army Laser Beam Capable of Detecting Chem-Bio Warfare Agents
- Thailand Confirms Novel Coronavirus in Traveler from Wuhan City