Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)U.S. Department of Energy
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), operated by Battelle Memorial Institute since 1965, is a Department of Energy national laboratory.
PNNL works to strengthen U.S. scientific foundations for innovation; increase U.S. energy capacity and reduce dependence on imported oil; prevent and counter acts of terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction; reduce environmental effects of human activity and create sustainable systems.
Unique facilities and programs at PNNL include:
- Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL)
- Applied Process Engineering Laboratory (APEL)
- Radiochemical Processing Laboratory (RPL)
- Bioproducts, Sciences, and Engineering Laboratory (BSEL)
- Electricity Infrastructure Operations Center (EIOC)
- Microproducts Breakthrough Institute (MBI)
- Battelle Seattle Research Center
- Instrument Performance Testing
The Chemical & Biological Signature Science Group within PNNL is an interdisciplinary group of approximately 50 biologists, chemists, and engineers that solve research and development challenges related to chemical and biological detection and forensics. Much of the work involves trace detection in complex samples including environmental, food, or biological samples, and is directed toward national security missions to prevent and counter acts of terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
The Nonproliferation Systems Integration (WMD) division deals with international and domestic security, safeguards and nonproliferation issues.
PNNL has approximately 4,300 employees and had a FY14 business volume of $1.02 billion.
Editor’s Picks: Articles and resources related to PNNL. Links may lead to external sites.
$25 Million Award Will Support Nuclear Nonproliferation R&D, Education
PNNL will be part of a consortium of 12 universities and 10 national laboratories led by the Georgia Institute of Technology to develop new technologies and educational programs to support NNSA nuclear science, security and nonproliferation goals.
- PNNL Spotlights Chemical Forensics for CW and Counternarcotics (Apr 2017)
- Making Ports of Entry Radiation Scanners More Efficient (Jan 2016)
- PNNL Supports National Critical Infrastructure Security (Oct 2015)
- Mass Spec Innovations Bring 10M Back To PNNL, Battelle (Apr 2015)
- Steven Ashby Named New PNNL Director (Mar 2015)
- PNNL Biodetection Guide Downloaded By 10,000+ (Jan 2015)
- Biodetection Technology Guide 2014 Available (Apr 2014)
- PNNL Decontamination System for Viruses and Bacteria (Apr 2012)
- Contracting Mechanisms for Work with PNNL