Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)U.S. Department of Defense
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) agency charged with seeking breakthrough concepts and technologies with broad applicability against threats to national security.
DARPA invests primarily in the early technology development phases of programs and the demonstration of prototype systems.
DARPA works to complement the DoD CBRN Defense Program by anticipating threats and developing novel defenses against them. The agency coordinates with the services and other agencies, including the Deputy Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for CBD and DTRA Chemical & Biological Technologies Directorate (DTRA-CB) to avoid duplication of efforts and to maximize effectiveness of resources.
DARPA’s programs are conducted under the oversight of six technical offices: the Defense Sciences Office, the Information Innovation Office, the Microsystems Technology Office, the Strategic Technology Office, the Tactical Technology Office, and the agency’s most recent addition, the Biological Technologies Office.
In 2014 DAPRA merged components of several program offices into a new Biotechnology Technologies Office (BTO) to foster innovations related to biological sciences. BTO’s investment portfolio goes far beyond life sciences applications in medicine to include areas of research such as human-machine interfaces, microbes as production platforms, and deep exploration of the impact of evolving ecologies and environments on U.S. readiness and capabilities.
The agency supports approximately 240 government employees, about half of whom are program managers. Its research is conducted by a wide array of public- and private-sector performers via 2,000 contracts, grants and other agreements.
Editor’s Picks: Articles related to DARPA. Links may lead to external sites.
- DARPA Gamma-Ray Inspection Technology Program Proposer’s Day
- DARPA and JPEO-CBRND Sign MOU to Formalize Collaborative CWMD Efforts
- Pentagon’s AI Program to Find Hidden Nuclear Missiles
- DARPA Awards IMPROV 2 Contract to Two Six Labs
- SIGMA Program Completes Testing of Ambulance-Mounted ‘Dirty Bomb’ Detectors
- DARPA Academic Research Roundtable
- Modeling Adversarial Activity to Counter Weapons of Mass Terrorism
- DARPA Field Tests Networked Radiological Detectors with NY Port Authority
- Portable Device Produces Biopharmaceuticals on Demand
- DARPA Awards SIGMA Contract to Proportional Technologies
- DARPA Brings Down the HAMMER on Malaria
- DARPA Wants To Transform Chemical War Sites Into Fertile Soil
- DARPA INTERCEPT Program for Biodefense Countermeasures
- DARPA’s Biotechnology EZ BAA Streamlines Proposal Process
- Arktis Radiation Detection System Passes DARPA Design Review
- Intense and Compact Neutron Sources
- SRI Biosciences DARPA Fold F(x) Synthetic Polymers Contract
- Agnostic Compact Demilitarization of Chemical Agents
- Robots Learn To Perform Tasks by “Watching” YouTube Videos
- Speedy, Agile UAVs Envisioned for Troops in Urban Missions
- ElectRx Has the Nerve to Envision Revolutionary Therapies for Self-Healing
- DARPA Biotechnology EZ BAA Cuts the Red Tape
- Using Light Frequencies to Sniff Out Deadly Materials from a Distance
- DARPA CHIKV Challenge to Address Threat of Chikungunya
- DARPA Award to Agentase for Wearable CBRN Surveillance Suits
- DARPA Launches Biological Technologies Office
- Mighty Micropumps: Small But Powerful Vacuum Pumps Demonstrated
- Rapid Threat Assessment Could Mitigate Danger from Chem-Bio Warfare
675 North Randolph Street Arlington VA 22203-2114