Brookhaven National LaboratoryBrookhaven National LaboratoryU.S. Department of Energy
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is one of ten national laboratories overseen and primarily funded by the US Department of Energy. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The scientists and engineers at BNL work in the following research areas:
Brookhaven operates cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. These facilities include:
- Center for Functional Nanomaterials
- Radiotracer Chemistry, Instrumentation and Biological Imaging
- Brookhaven Linac Isoptope Producer
- Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider
- National Synchrotron Light Source II
- Computational Science Center
- Accelerator Test Facility
- NASA Space Radiation Laboratory
- Long Island Solar Farm
- Tandem Van de Graaff Facility
The Laboratory’s almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. BNL coordinates with a wide range of federal and local institutions, including the Northeast Biodefense Center.
Editor’s Picks: Select articles related to Brookhaven. Links may lead to external sites.
$25 Million Award Will Support Nuclear Nonproliferation R&D, Education
Brookhaven will be part of a consortium of 12 universities and 10 national laboratories led by the Georgia Institute of Technology to develop new technologies and educational programs to support NNSA nuclear science, security and nonproliferation goals.
- Unfazed by Radiation
- Five Brookhaven Lab Projects Selected as R&D 100 Award Finalists
- DNA Framework for Rationally Designed Nanostructures
- Conduct Charged Particle Radiobiology Studies Relevant to Ion Therapy
- Studying Radiation’s Effect on Reactor Pressure Vessels
- Remien Named Manager of Brookhaven’s Environmental Protection Division
- Brookhaven Science Associates Awarded Brookhaven Lab Contract
- Scientists Map Key Moment in Assembly of DNA-Splitting Molecular Machine
- New NIH/DOE Grant for Life Science Studies at NSLS-II
- Harnessing the Power of Bacteria’s Sophisticated Immune System
- Brookhaven Wins R&D 100 Award for Novel Radiation Detector
- DNA-Linked Nanoparticles Form Switchable ‘Thin Films’ on a Liquid Surface
- The Science of Detecting and Defeating Radiological Threats
- Planning a Response to a ‘Dirty Bomb’
- Scientists Identify Promising Antiviral Compounds