Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA)Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA)HHS/ASPR
The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), within the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), manages the procurement and advanced development of medical countermeasures for CBRN threats, pandemic influenza and other emerging infectious diseases.
In addition, BARDA manages the Public Health Emergency Medical Countermeasures Enterprise (PHEMCE) and oversees all of HHS’s Project BioShield procurements. BARDA was established via the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act of 2006.
Key threats funded for countermeasures include anthrax, botulism, radiation, viral hemorrhagic fevers and smallpox. Most recent BARDA funding opportunities are available here.
CBRN agent countermeasures lack a significant commercial market as incidents occur infrequently. The funding phases and guaranteed federal market structure for finalized products overseen by BARDA is a critical national security effort to bring about countermeasure development.
A major component of the BARDA effort is to establish flexible multi-use manufacturing and core service partnerships that will assist companies in many aspects of developing and licensing a product, while providing medical countermeasure manufacturing and surge capacity.
Editor’s Picks: Select articles related to BARDA. Links may lead to external sites.
Under a 2-year, 27.3 million USD contract, SpectralMD, Inc., of Dallas, Texas, will advance the development of a next-generation burn imaging device, DeepView.
- HHS Invests in Argentum’s Burn Dressings for Radiation Emergencies
- BARDA Backs Biodosimetry Tests from MRIGlobal, DxTerity Diagnostics
- Radiation Exposure Countermeasures Backed by U.S. Government
- ARad Biodosimetry: ASU Developing Radiation-Absorption Test
- BARDA Backs Antibody Therapy Against MERS Virus
- BARDA Backs Cerus’ Blood Pathogen Reduction System
- Texas A&M CIADM Helping with Anthrax Vaccine Development
- BARDA Seeks Next-Generation Anthrax Vaccine
- BARDA Selects UM SOM for Radiation Nuclear Animal Model Development
- Autograft-Sparing Products for Definitive Care of Burn Injuries
- SRI International Developing Biodosimeter for Radiation Exposure
- BARDA to Rapidly Accelerate ZMapp Ebola Drug
- BARDA Awards 14M for Acute Radiation Countermeasure
- BARDA Moves Forward on Freeze-Dried Smallpox Vaccine
- Soligenix Awarded $26M BARDA Contract for Radiation Countermeasure
- BARDA Exercises Contract Option on Emergent BioSolutions Anthrax Vaccine