Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)
The Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) provides basic research funding to further progress towards Air Force mission needs. AFOSR has a staff of 200 scientists, engineers and administrators headquartered in Arlington, Va., and has foreign technology offices in Santiago, London and Tokyo.
The focus of AFOSR is on research areas that offer significant and comprehensive benefits to national warfighting and peacekeeping capabilities, organized by five scientific departments:
- Dynamical Systems and Control Division
- Quantum and Non-Equilibrium Processes Division
- Information, Decision and Complex Networks Division
- Complex Materials and Devices Division
- Energy, Power and Propulsion Division
AFOSR has formed a strong, productive alliance with other government agencies, industry and the academic community. About 70 percent of the research is conducted in academia and industry and the remaining 30 percent is conducted within AFRL. AFOSR has funded more than:
- 1181 Extramural Research Grants at 227 Universities
- 255 Intramural Research Projects at AFRL, USAFA, AFIT
- 155 STTR Small Business – University Contracts
AFOSR solicits proposals for research through various Broad Agency Announcements (BAAs). One or more proposals may be submitted on any topic listed in any BAA.
All AFOSR Funding Opportunities are required to be posted on Grants.gov and are also available directly from the AFOSR website as is information on Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) opportunities.
Editor’s Picks: Articles of interest on AFOSR. Links may lead to external sites.
- Defense Enterprise Science Initiative (Feb 2018)
- AFOSR Awards Grants to 58 Scientists and Engineers (Oct 2016)
- AFOSR – Chemistry and Biological Sciences (Jul 2016)
- In Emergencies, Should You Trust a Robot? (Feb 2016)
- ASU Top Recipient of Prestigious Air Force Young Investigator Awards (Jan 2016)
- AFOSR – The Importance of Basic Science in Science Diplomacy (Nov 2015)
- BAA – Air Force Office of Scientific Research 2014 (Apr 2014)
- Air Force Basic Research Office Will Not Relocate (Apr 2014)
- AFOSR Awards 15.5 Million in Research Grants (Jan 2014)
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research Spring Review (Mar 2013)
- Military Medical Photonics Program (Feb 2013)
- Laser Combs Aid Development of Biothreat Decontamination System (Jun 2012)