Website Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
The Health and Safety Branch ensures that health and safety standards relating to the activities of the OPCW are set and met.
The Branch provides emergency medical, occupational health, mental health and safety services to all OPCW personnel. It is involved in all contingency operations where OPCW personnel are involved.
The Branch also provides health and safety-related training courses and exercises to Branches and Divisions, conducts workspace assessments and surveys and addresses workplace mental health-related issues.
In the context of comprehensive occupational health and safety procedures, the incumbent will preserve and maintain the health, safety and well-being of staff, through developing and deploying appropriate risk management strategies and procedures for protection from possible occupational risks, accidents or illnesses, striving to improve the working conditions in the OPCW operated facilities and workplaces.
To see the complete job outline, please click here.
Qualifications and Experience
You should have an advanced University degree in medicine with current medical registration.
- Medical qualification must meet the requirements of the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport for registration in the Dutch Register for Individual Health Practitioners;
- Postgraduate qualification in occupational health is highly desirable;
- Advanced training in Mass Casualty Management or in the field of chemical weapons would be an asset.
Knowledge and Experience
Make sure you have at least 10 years of progressive clinical experience, with background in family medicine and/or occupational health with an advanced degree.
- Experience in chemical defence medicine or in occupational medicine in the chemical industry will be an advantage;
- Knowledge of/experience with the Dutch healthcare system will be an advantage;
- International experience or experience within a military environment is desirable;
- International experience with UN or other INGOs preferably in hardship duty stations is desirable;
- Previous deployment on highly sensitive or critical missions.
Skills and Competencies
To succeed in this role you will need the following skills and competencies:
- Proven record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling work environment, including ability to effectively supervise, mentor, train, develop and evaluate staff;
- Ability and willingness to deploy at short notice on contingency operations;
- Tact, discretion, and the ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural environment;
- Approachable and easy to work with;
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication (verbal and written) skills;
- Political savviness;
- Computer literacy (MS Office package);
- Frequent travel is required for missions and other work related issues.
Fluency in English is essential and a good working knowledge of one of the other official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish) is desirable.